REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING SERVICES
TOWN OF STUART, VIRGINIA
The Town of Stuart, Virginia is soliciting Statements of Qualification from qualified Engineering Firms or Individuals to provide Professional Engineering Services. The proposed project includes improvements to the filter backwash waste system at the Town of Stuart Water Treatment Plant and construction of a gravity sewer system that will terminate into the Town’s existing collection system. Filter backwash waste and contact clarifier waste solids currently discharge into two basins, are decanted, and the effluent is discharged into a small receiving stream. As needed, the Town cleans out the sludge from the basins and relines them with clay. The Town would like to install a permanent basin liner and a gravity discharge line into the Town’s sewage collection system. This would eliminate the backwash discharge VPDES Permit and would allow the solids and effluent to be treated at the Town’s Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Construction is anticipated to include cleaning the existing backwash basins and installation of an HDPE liner, telescoping effluent flow control valves, and approximately 3,800 LF of 8” gravity sewer line and appurtenances, which will discharge into the Town’s gravity sewer system. The total project budget is $1,634,200.00.
The Town of Stuart will accept bound and concise Statements of Qualification until 2:00 PM Eastern Local Time, on Thursday, July 27th, 2023. Two (2) hard copies, and one (1) digital copy (via email or direct link accepted), of the Statements shall be mailed or hand-delivered to Bryce Simmons, Town Manager, 100 Patrick Avenue, PO Box 422, Stuart, VA 24171. Questions regarding this solicitation should be made prior to Friday, July 21st, 2023, and to the Town Manager, email@example.com or (276) 694-3811.
Statements of Qualification will be considered based on the following criteria:
- Relative Experience Providing Similar Services, including: general consulting; surveying services that support the engineering services; preliminary engineering and reports; project designs and completion of Contract Documents for water treatment, distribution and storage projects; assistance with regulatory agencies; construction administration and inspection. Any lists of similar projects that may be provided shall include the name, position, and phone number of a reference for contact by the Town.
- Experience and Availability of the Individuals Proposed to Provide the Services, including: the proposed Project Manager with whom the Town Administration and Staff will maintain frequent contact; any Design Personnel that may work on the services; and any other Individuals that the proposing Firm or Individual deems appropriate. Brief resumes (one page or less) describing the qualifications and experience of each individual (including a listing of similar projects worked on) should be provided.
- A Brief Summary of Understanding of the Services (maximum of ten pages), including: the basic tenet or philosophy of the proposing Firm or Individual with respect to the provision of the project; project approach for performing the services; demonstration of knowledge concerning the needs of the Town; and a summary of reasons that the Firm or Individual is best suited to provide the services.
- Understanding of Funded Projects, including past project experience; knowledge of the Town’s current project needs and Staff; experience and working relationship with DHCD, USDA-RUS(RD), VDH, DEQ, DCR, and VDOT and others, as applicable.
Firms or Individuals will be ranked based upon these criteria and negotiations may begin with the top-ranked firm. If an agreement, satisfactory and advantageous to the Town may be entered into, an award shall be made. Otherwise, negotiations may proceed with the next respectively ranked Firm or Individual and so on until a satisfactory agreement is reached.
This request is extended without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age or physical or mental handicap. The selected Firm or Individual will be required to comply with all the State and Federal guidelines or requirements, including, but not limited to:
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Civil Rights Act of 1964
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- Age Discrimination Act
- MBE/WBE Solicitation Guidelines
The Town of Stuart will reserve the rights to accept or reject any or all proposals; to waive any formalities or technicalities as it deems appropriate; and to retain multiple qualified Individuals or firms as it deems appropriate. For projects that may be successfully funded, the Town of Stuart reserves the right, if it so deems, to enter into negotiations with the selected firm for any resulting services related to the project implementation.
Minority and/or female-owned businesses or firms are encouraged to apply. The Town of Stuart is an Equal Opportunity Employer.