The Town of Stuart in Virginia, is a small town at Highways 8 & 58 in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Highlands.
Stuart has maintained it’s traditional hometown values through the years. This beautiful town has an Uptown and Downtown business district. Uptown is the larger and is host to the County Seat & Courthouse.
Originally named Taylorsville in 1792, Stuart was renamed after the Civil War in honor of Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart, The famous Cavalry General, who was born and raised a short distance from here in Ararat.
A history of Stuart in pictures, text and artifacts is offered by the Patrick County Historical Museum at 116 W. Blue Ridge Street next to the library.
Also, plan to visit our Historic Courthouse built in 1822 and the Historic Star Theatre on Patrick Street in downtown Stuart.
Stuart has recently expanded it town limits and has over one thousand four hundred residents.
The Danville & Western railroad line, fondly known as “Dick & Willie” ended in Stuart. There still is a Patrick County road named Dick & Willie. At the line’s end, in downtown Stuart, the Dick & Willie had a hand operated Train Turntable. The Downtown area was affectionately known as the Depot.
Stuart’s annual spring “Strawberry Festival” is hosted Uptown. The National Register of Historic Places lists Uptown’s N. Main Street and Blue Ridge Street in its registry.
The Downtown area host’s the Apple Dumpling Festival in the fall. And a Saturday early in December marks the Annual Christmas Parade.
“The Crooked Road”: Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail loops through PatrickCounty and Stuart. The PatrickCounty Music Association offers monthly free concerts at The JohnD.HookerMemorialBuilding at Rotary Field Stuart, VA. There is music somewhere near by almost every Friday or Saturday evening.